RAW New Impetus Brief
Impetus (Unfinished) [Work in Progress]
What is your thesis concept? Be brief and concise.
- I would like to explore Filipino folklore through its mythological creatures and monsters. I would then conceptualize an interactive medium where the audience can engage the history and story behind said creatures, with the hopes of shedding light into a mostly unknown yet interesting part of Filipino culture.
- I hope to invite the modern Filipino to be curious of the history behind these monsters/creatures and extend their curiosity or exploration to where they might find or locate these creatures in today’s society.
- I would want to conceptualize a storytelling experience for the users in order for them to participate in the myth of the monsters.
- I want to be able to preserve or augment the experience of experiencing these stories with other people
Why do you think it will matter to others?
- To me, these myths and mythological creatures matter because they are a huge part of the Philippines’ history, and yet these stories and their role in enriching our heritage is forgotten because of extreme marginalization of indigenous culture.
- The influx of Western ideals and capitalist sensibilities in undeniable not just in the Philippines but in the entirety of Asia, especially with the big countries. In line with this would be the rise of urbanized states where cultural norms don’t exactly favor the older, more organic sentiments that originally foster these myths.
- Nowadays, to talk about Filipino folklore is to talk about those who still remember and make it a point to preserve these ancient narratives, and the discourse really would extend to their present affliction—stories of struggles, of marginalization, de-territoriality, loss of cultural identity, compounded problems brought by climate change, and the violence of living in poverty, with no or little opportunities for self-improvement.
- And so to explore how these mythical creatures and their world of folklore can fit in the 21st century society is something I am very interested in.
Has your thesis concept grown out of prior work or life experiences? (You might look closely at certain qualities already inherent in your work or the motivation behind what you have been compelled to make or explore up until this point)a. Has your thesis concept grown out of prior work or life experiences? (You might look closely at certain qualities already inherent in your work or the motivation behind what you have been compelled to make or explore up until this point)
- I want to explore the folkloric monsters of Filipino mythology because they have fascinated me ever since I was a kid. These were stories that are recognized throughout the country, and they’ve always been part of my childhood growing up, even here in America. I remember thinking how these local monsters were way scarier than the Western counterpart which were more mainstream and were more like caricature monsters that you can play with. The Filipino folkloric monsters, on the other hand, were terrifying, and that contrast is interesting to me and to this day, it still frightens me.
- A lot of these are within the realm of storytelling because I myself who has had an experience working with theatre, broadcast, film, games I love the storytelling aspect of these mediums.
Why do this concept and/or potential applications of this idea matter to you? Why are you passionate about it?a. Why do this concept and/or potential applications of this idea matter to you? Why are you passionate about it?
- And as a kid I’ve always wanted to make a narrative video, or a film or animated film that focused on these creatures. To this day, I still talk with my Filipino friends about horror stories involving these creatures and how we can make better content with them in terms of storytelling. Even today when me and my friends have a chance we revisit our childhood discussions on making similar games using Filipino mythical creatures much as Silent Hill, Forbidden Siren, and Fatal Frame which uses Japanese folk monsters.
- It’s such a rich topic that the applications in order to promote awareness are endless.
What inspired you to choose this as your thesis?
- What inspired me to choose this as my thesis is the fact that I’ve always wanted to learn more about these creatures. I’m a big fan of the horror genre mostly if it involves backstory rather than the typical jump scare storyline. I love Japanese culture and I have my fair share of immersion with their folk creatures through anime, video games, and literature.
- However, even with the limited access, I have to this Philippine folklore, either by word of mouth, some written literature, ow whenever someone shares his/her research, I always get excited.
- The stories of these monsters bring me back to a young age where I was curious about the world, on spirits, monsters and life forces.
- TV shows and games produced in other countries use some of the Filipino folk monsters and it worries me that the country doesn’t even produce any new media material regarding these folk monsters.
What are your personal contribution and the significance of it to your field of study?a. What is your personal contribution and the significance of it to your field of study?
- The project will ideally contribute an original take on tackling the issue of preserving heritage and culture in the Philippines. Hopefully it will see how relevant these creatures are because their stories extend to real issues like preserving indigenous heritage, protecting ancient territories, fighting against deforestation and mining, to name a few.
- I am interested in bringing these stories back to the modern-day Filipino who lives in urban cities. To bring back the stories and tell them in new environments.
- Mixed reality. Through the physical model we can see what the creature looks like and give a tangible feeling to it and the Augmented reality experience can bring the story to the existing world we live in.
Impetus-based goals and design questions
What thesis goals emerge from aspects of your impetus?a. What thesis goals emerge from aspects of your impetus?
- The most basic goal, I think, for projects like these is really just to get people hooked. It doesn’t have to be important to the audience just yet, it just has to be special first. And then build from there, them feel invested upon interacting with the AR and have them realize the importance of the story.
- Of course stories like these are important, for the simple fact that they’re part of our history. But the ‘why’ they’re important will be up to the audience to figure out, I think this is why I find it crucial that they interact with the narrative first.
- To incite a hype in people. Make them see how cool this is. And then show that the monsters can be traced to communities and beliefs that the Filipinos should not dare forget or take for granted.
Frame these goals as design questions: identify a minimum of three design questions directly related to goals established by your impetus.a. Frame these goals as design questions: identify a minimum of three design questions directly related to goals established by your impetus.
- How do I portray them? Do I anthropomorphize these creatures?
- Will I make it scary? By having them inhabit spaces should the design be less scary?
- Do people want to play with these scary monsters? Do people want to fight with these scary creatures? Shall we have people have these monsters and fight with other monsters
Results & Conclusions
- Does your current thesis strategy and form answer your impetus-related design questions?
- The next step for my thesis strategy is do the research work so I can get to know these creatures and their stories better. That way I can draw more inspiration and a more informed design on them and their world.
- What new questions are you formulating as a result of the need to meet impetus goals?
- Will this initiative be welcome by the community? Will they see this as helping or intruding, as I am basically an outsider despite being Filipino?
- Will the audience, primarily the Filipinos, be engaged or at the very least be interested in this medium or this approach?
- How did the results of your impetus analysis impact your current thesis concept
- It made it more complicated research-wise, and it has put a lot more pressure on me. But at the same time it’s exciting and these stories are extremely exciting to me.
- Next steps
- Given your impetus, are you on the right path or do you need to change direction, and if so, how will you do that?
- Sources consulted
- Impetus-specific resources